Wrinkle relaxation injections
PostOp information Brochure
Every time you smile, laugh or frown, delicate muscles under your facial skin contract, causing worry lines, crows' feet, laughter lines and other wrinkles that can make you look older than you are. Scientists call lines of this kind, “dynamic” wrinkles.
A procedure known as cosmetic denervation uses Vistabel™ (formerly known as Botox™) injections to relax these facial muscles and keep them from contracting. After the procedure, the skin over the treated muscles remains smooth and unwrinkled whilst other, untreated, facial muscles contract in normal fashion, so your normal facial expressions are unaffected.
- Vistabel injections have been used safely and effectively for over ten years to treat eye and nerve conditions. Each year, thousands of people receive these treatments for a variety of causes and it has become an increasingly popular treatment for reversing visible signs of aging.
- By smoothing out “dynamic” wrinkles, Vistabel treatments can give you a more youthful and pleasant appearance.
- These treatments, however, cannot improve wrinkles due to aging or sun damage, as these wrinkles are not caused by muscle contractions. Nor will the treatments improve sagging skin or take the place of a face lift.
Understanding your treatment
Cosmetic denervation using Vistabel is a safe and simple procedure. Using a tiny needle, your surgeon will inject a small amount of the drug very carefully and precisely into several points on your face.
- Because the needle is so fine and only a small amount of liquid is injected, the discomfort associated with the injections is minimal.
- No sedation or local anaesthetic is required and you can resume your normal activities at once. You can even drive yourself home or back to work.
- You should, however, avoid exercise for four hours after your treatment, as well as facial massage and any activity that requires you to bend over repeatedly. During this time you should also remain upright.
Evaluating side effects and limitations
While Vistabel injections are an effective treatment for dynamic wrinkles, they are a temporary solution. The effects of the injections last from three to four months, so you will likely need to have injections about three times a year.
- How long the effects of treatment last varies from patient to patient, and the treatment may be less effective for people over 65 years of age.
- Early clinical studies indicate that the duration of treatment benefits increases over time, so you may require injections less frequently as time goes on.
The risk of side effects depends on the muscles that are injected. Your surgeon will discuss this with you before treatment.
- The most common side effect is bruising, which can be easily covered by make-up.
- In some cases, the Vistabel can migrate and cause temporary weakness in nearby muscles.
- In rare cases, treatment may cause an eyelid to droop or produce asymmetry of facial expression.
If you'd like to know more about wrinkle relaxation injections, we invite you to download our wrinkle treatments brochure or call our office at 01273 62 11 44.